- Q. Does it make sense for collectors to subscribe to more than one database?
- A. Yes, it makes sense if the database you sign up with has different characteristics from the one you have already subscribed to. NTQ Database differs from others, as it is the first database that specialises in antiques, decorative art and design works of art. Not only does it gather data regarding the sales of major auction houses, NTQ Database also covers in depth the Italian art market. More importantly, NTQ-Data differs from other online databases because it avoids conflicts of interest by never buying or selling works of art.
- Q. Does it make sense for antique dealers and advisors to subscribe to more than one database?
- A. Yes, for art professional receiving and collecting information from diverse sources will provide a greater support to their business.
- Q. Where is NTQ Database registered?
- A. NTQ DATA (the company that produces NTQ Database) is incorporated in London, with representative offices in Milan Italy.
- Q. How did NTQ Database start as a business?
- A. The company emerged thanks to the initiative of our art historical and art market experts, who noticed the lack of available information regarding the antiques, decorative art and design markets. Before its launch there was no data bank specialised on the antique, modern art and design markets.
- Q. What is the professional background of NTQ Database’s staff?
- A. NTQ Database focuses on the expertise of its art historians. Clearly, to ensure the reliability and correct functioning of the entire organisation the company recruits experts in other fundamental fields.
- Q. Why should I subscribe to NTQ Database?
- A. Because it is the first database specialised in antiques, decorative art and design.
- Q. Why are paintings not included in the database?
- A. There already exist online resources dedicated to providing market data on paintings. NTQ Database was not conceived for reproducing something that already existed. NTQ Database, in fact, originated from the idea of gathering data not yet available in a single database.
- Q. Why should believe that NTQ Database adds transparency to the art market?
- A. Because NTQ-DATA is an independent company; it does not purchase or sell works of art, or is involved in business transactions with auction houses. NTQ-DATA solely concentrates on professionally collecting data released by auction houses.
- Q. Why does NTQ Database provide only lots with images?
- A. Images facilitate research and help collectors to compare results. Through images the collector can more readily compare lots that share similarities. In order to avoid inaccurate comparisons, NTQ-DATA has decided to include only lots with images.
- Q. Why don’t you organise auction sales?
- A. We have decided not to organise sales in order to perform our role as providers of unbiased information and avoid conflicts of interest.
- Q. Are there objects I can purchase directly from NTQ-DATA?
- A. No.
- Q. What is it meant by antiques, decorative art and design?
- A. All those objects, which fall under the specific categories listed in this website under the section “database”.
- Q. How many years of historical data are stored in your database?
- A. 5 years. It is an appropriate period of time to analyse trends in the art market
- Q. Are upcoming auction sales reported on NTQ Database?
- A. Yes. Upcoming sales are added to the database as soon as the information is released by the auction house. This generally takes place 10 to 15 days prior to the sale.
- Q. Which information does NTQ Database provides on future auction sales?
- A. The sale dates, location, description and estimates, and all other information reported in the auction catalogues.
- Q. How many lots are stored in NTQ Database?
- A. It is an ever-growing number; more than hundreds of thousands.
- Q. NTQ Database covers data published by which auction houses?
- A. As for lots, the number of auction houses monitored is also growing. It now includes all the main international auction houses, and those operating in Italy.
- Q. How fast is new data regarding auction results uploaded on the database?
- A. Within 24 hours after the release of sale results by the auction house.
- Q. Which information does NTQ DATA provides for every lot?
- A. In addition to the sale price, all the information reported on the sale catalogue is provided. The lot is also linked to certain keywords that make research quicker and more reliable.
- Q. Can it happen that NTQ Database does not specify the sale price of an object?
- A. Only if the auction sale has not yet taken place, or if the auction house never released an object’s sale price.
- Q. How does the “research” function in NTQ Database work?
- A. It is very similar to the way Google operates. It lists in order of importance the lots containing the majority of keywords.
- Q. If I register without subscribing, which services do I have access to?
- A. By registering only you can: 1) test the “research” function of NTQ DATA (although only on a limited number of results will appear, and with partial information); 2) receive a newsletter every 2 weeks on various themes regarding antiques and special offers.
- Q. Can I test NTQ Database?
- A. Yes, you only need to register on the website. Indeed, the quantity of results and the information provided for each lot is limited.
- Q. How long is a 1-year subscription?
- A. 365 days, beginning from the date of subscription. If, for instance, you sign up on the 10th of February 2012, your subscription will last until the 9th of February 2013.
- Q. Which products and services do I have access to as subscriber?
- A. With a 1-year subscription: unlimited research; alert emails of upcoming auctions; market index; recurrent newsletters.
- Q. What does unlimited research mean?
- A. It means that you will be able to navigate our database without limitations for a day (with a 1 day trial subscription), or for 365 days (with a 1-year subscription)
- Q. Which are the advantages of receiving alert emails of upcoming auctions?
- A. The advantage of knowing beforehand if objects of interest will be on sale (such as from Christie’s, Sotheby’s and/or Bonhams) during the subscription period.
- Q. Which are the advantages of having access to the market index?
- A. The advantage of requesting reports on the antiques, decorative art and design markets. Every report request will cost €75.
- Q. What does the newsletter consist of?
- A. The newsletter is a document issued by our art specialists every 15 days, and sent by email. It includes a selection of important news regarding antiques.
- Q. What are the indexes?
- A. They are useful indicators for understanding the dynamics that regulate the antiques market. They help in predicting possible future market trends and fluctuations.
- Q. Generally which advantages does subscribing to NTQ Data provide?
- A. NTQ Database and the services associated to it provide an independent and reliable tool with which one can navigate the art market (antiques, decorative art, and design).
- Q. Which payment methods are available for subscribing?
- A. You can pay by Credit Card through the secured system Paypal.
- Q. Are payments through Paypal safe?
- A. Yes, payments take place on their secured server. Paypal is the one payment method universally recognised for its safety.
CONTENTS OF DATABASE
REGISTRATION AND SUBSCRIPTION
Do you have other doubts?
Write us we would be happy to answer your questions.